more things we do
The NPGS is an affiliated member of the CCFMS.
The NPGS website is hosted by the CCFMS.
All written material and pictures are copyright © 2004-2020
of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society, except where noted.
If you wish to reproduce anything on our website,
please ask permission. Thank you.
NPGS Niagara Peninsula Geological Society
Welcome to the NPGS home page.
There are many aspects to our club activities, for you to choose from
and to participate in.
We look forward to you becoming a member!
• to gain a greater appreciation of our earth’s crust and its underlying beauty;
• to help people learn the many aspects of lapidary techniques plus fossil, rock, gemstone, and mineral collecting;
• to share our knowledge and experience in geology, mineralogy, petrology, and palaeontology as well as in lapidary and faceting gems and minerals;
• to foster good comradeship among members;
• to enjoy family recreation in field trips, club functions, our annual gem, mineral, and fossil show, workshops, and many other events & activities;
• to continue our membership and affiliation with the Central Canadian Federation of Mineralogical Societies (CCFMS).
Founded in 1962, the society’s charter was granted on March 11, 1964.
Over the next few years, the Society continued to grow, with several field trips organized and its first annual gem & mineral show held in the gymnasium of Queen Mary Public School, St Catharines in 1967.
From such a humble beginning, the Society has grown into a vibrant community of people from all walks of life.
From first-time “pebble pups”, interested amateurs, enthusiastic rockhounds, and avid collectors all the way up to earth science professors, students, and researchers - they all share the fellowship, discovery, and fun that have always been a trademark of the NPGS.
Minerals, Rocks, Crystals, and Fossils
• learn how to identify different minerals, rocks, crystals, and fossils;
• discover both the significance behind and observe the endless varieties of shapes, colours, and textures that can be found in minerals, rocks, and crystals;
• learn about the myriad of creatures that existed millions of years ago and fossils that are just waiting to be found so that you can unlock their secrets;
• discover the beautiful but hidden wealth of minerals, rocks, crystals, and fossils that lie right beneath your feet. - not only right here in Niagara - elsewhere in Ontario and in Canada - and around the world;
• explore the fascinating world of minerals and fossils that are so small that you need a really good magnifying glass or a microscope to see them - better known as micro-minerals;
• explore the
If you’re interested in any of the above, please come to one of our monthly meetings.
Please join us at our monthly meetings. We’re looking forward to meeting you!
• We have guest speakers, silent auctions, refreshments, swaps, and give-aways.
• We welcome all new members and visitors .
• If you’re looking to have a rock or a fossil identified - we have lots of people who will help identify it for you! (And so, of course, please don’t forget to bring your treasures.)
• Join fellow rockhounds and search out beautiful minerals, rocks, crystals, gemstones, and fossils for your collection.
• Field trips are done locally, all around Ontario, and across the “river” in New York. A goodly number of our field trips are kid friendly;
• Learn what tools are needed as well as health & safety rules necessary to protect yourself and others when on a “dig”.
• We promote popular interest and education in lapidary - the craft of working, forming, and finishing stone, minerals, and gemstones.
• We, currently, use lapidary equipment at the Brantford Lapidary and Mineral club’s workshop facility - with an eye on developing, in the future, our own workshop facility in Niagara.
• We also run workshops so that our members can engage in all forms of jewellery making, cabochon cutting & faceting, carving, beading, and craft work.
GEOventure! Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show
Each year, in June, the NPGS puts on GEOventure! our Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show:
• We demonstrate all kinds of things such as, looking at minerals, rocks, crystals, and fossils under our microscope or under fluorescent lighting, how to split a rock, plus, plus;
• We show off our prized finds such as, fossils, plus minerals and rocks that we’ve collected on our field trips, plus, plus;
• We demonstrate our lapidary skills - anything that we may have polished, cabbed, or faceted;
• As well, we invite vendors of minerals, rocks, crystals, gemstones, beads, meteorites, and fossils along with one-of-a-kind & artisan jewellery and carvings. Our vendors come from all over Ontario as well as some from further away. All for which you can look at and buy.
Newsletters and more
Communications are often the lifeblood of any club.
• We publish a newsletter, the Pink Dolomite Saddle, 10 times per year from September to June.
• Added to this, we publish News Flashes - on a regular basis - particularly when something new or exciting has come up at the last minute.
• We ensure that our website is kept up-to-date.
• And we regularly post on social media.
And lots more activities …
We’re updating our website. Some of the pages are completed, some aren’t - mainly missing pictures.
Thank you for your patience!